Anjelah Johnson Nail Salon

By on 10:17 PM


Comedienne Anjelah Johnson stopped by to promote her Comedy Central special (tune in Monday, Dec. 28th!), and had us in stitches when she channeled her famous MadTV character, manicurist Bon Qui Qui. Watch the video!

After first moving to LA, you took a stand-up class. Your final assignment was to perform in a comedy club. What did it feel like?
 It felt really natural. Like it wasn't my first time. I was nervous before I went on stage but once I said my first joke I was fine. There is no feeling like getting an instant positive reaction to something you have created.


What tricks have you learned to calm your nerves before going on stage? I dance! I put good music on that pumps me up and I dance.

What is the hardest part of getting up in front of a crowd of strangers and trying to make them laugh? Not knowing if they came to have a good time or came to be "impressed" You always wonder if they are going to be a good crowd or moody crowd. I had just finished a sold out weekend in one city flew to the next city where only 19 people showed up! I would have been ok if they were a good 19 but they were a terrible 19!

When did you discover your knack for making people laugh? I knew I could make my friends and family laugh but I didn't discover that I could make strangers laugh until I got up on stage that first night.

What's your earliest memory of entertaining others? We would always do shows for our family in the living room. We have a big family with lots of cousins.

You're a comedian...have you been caught in an awkward/embarrassing situation recently where you've had to use your sense of humor to get out of it? In an awkward sitch, I usually try a joke, but if that doesn't work, forget it! Now I'm intimidated and awkward, too. We can both just sit here and stare at each other in silence!

Any great tips for turning an awkward situation into a funny one? Self-deprecating humor. Make fun of yourself before they can!

You used to be an Oakland Raiders cheerleader. What was your favorite part about that and what made you decide to give that up and pursue acting? I didn't give up cheerleading to pursue acting. I actually used the audition for the Oakland Raiderettes as my sign to move to LA. I said if I made the squad that I would do it for one year and then move to LA to pursue acting. So I just kept my promise to myself.

You danced and cheered your way through school; do you still dance at all? What do you do to stay fit? I dance in my bathroom, my hotel rooms, my car, grocery stores, where ever there is music i dance. Not so much for performance anymore, but I love to dance for fun. I give my fans a little bit of my dancing goodness in my Comedy Central one hour special. I like to take cardio kickboxing classes. They play really good music and I get to feel tough doing all of these punching and kicking moves. Best part about it is that nobody hits or kicks me back!

You just took a trapeze class that you loved; what made you decide to try something so risky? Do you think you'll do it again? I loved it! I was in Gilbert Arizon at Trapeze U. My friend Jennifer Lynn who I cheered with on the Raiders lives there and she asked me to take the class with her. So fun. I will definitely do it again.Anjelah Johnson Videos

You have a one project after another being released over the next year! A one hour Comedy Central special on December 28th and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel on Christmas, Our Family Wedding in March, and Marmaduke in June. Busy girl! What do you do to relax in all the craziness? Sleep, eat, stay home with my brother and friends, Cook dinner and watch Law & Order SVU reruns. Good times!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts